Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Claustrophobia

This week, my shift is from 12pm-9pm. So I woke up today at 8.30am, put my clothes into the laundry machine and then head to the shower. Put on some worn out clothes (yes i wear these to work as well, what for wanna wear nice nice, who wanna see me in front on my desk for the next 9 hrs? the only Camera that will be shooting me would just be the CCTV anyways!)

And so I head off from PV5 taxi (its car pool so, they charge RM1 per person, but he takes 4 person init) then I paid RM2.30 train to Masjid Jamek.

At the train station, there was so many people. Then someone announced on the speakers there that they are having problems with the railways. So nothing big deal. Business will go on as usual of course. So the next train reached, and I jumped in. It was manually controlled, and the train was soooooooooo slow and I was surrounded by people with weird smell, and one women in front of me which i'm not sure why she was like can't stabilize herself in the train, she kept on stepping on me! Argh!

And then suddenly, I can't breathe, my heart started pounding so fast, I felt dizzy, and I got so scared, I'm not sure what was happening to me. I wanted to go out but we were still moving heading to setiawangsa in a very very slow motion. I was already half way thinking, "pls don't make me faint here, pls... i got RM500 bucks in my purse and i just got my RM2k handphone back...."

So as soon as the train stopped at Setiawangsa, I quickly pushes my way through the crowd to reach to the door (i swear, i feel like i was one of the sardin in the tin!!!), and as soon as the door open I just jumped out as quickly as I can. I was catching my breathe and trying to calm myself down. I wasn't sure what happen to me in the train, so I called up Shen and he suggested that I might have "Claustrophobic".

I took a cab from Setiawangsa which cost me RM7.00 only, but I gave the good man RM10 to keep the change because he have put on the meter and for being honest. Thank you!

xoxo Stella Matilda


WIKIPEDIA:

Claustrophobia is an anxiety disorder that involves the fear of enclosed or confined spaces. Claustrophobes may suffer from panic attacks, or fear of having a panic attack, in situations such as being in elevators, trains, or aircraft.

Conversely, people who are prone to having panic attacks will often develop claustrophobia.[citation needed] If a panic attack occurs while they are in a confined space, then the claustrophobe fears not being able to escape the situation. Those suffering from claustrophobia might find it difficult to breathe in enclosed spaces. Like many other disorders, claustrophobia can sometimes develop due to a traumatic incident in childhood.

Claustrophobia can be treated in similar ways to other anxiety disorders, with a range of treatments including cognitive behavior therapy and the use of anti-anxiety medication. Hypnosis is an alternative treatment for claustrophobia.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Stellz!~ i guess so probably it is....some people do intend to be like that..my godfather faces the same thing...even in the lif he has this problem...secluded/closed and stuffy areas they intend to loose breath and get all dizzy. well poor you..thank god u got off the train tho! and incase it helps hmm carry a little small bottle-really small ones of "CAP MINYAK KAPAK!" to smell when u get nausea or feel hard to breathe ... :)

also beware there'z lotsssssss of picpockets on the train they can get ur phones and wallet from ur bag although ur carrying them over the shoulder!..... happened to my colleague and lots in kl.

cheerios .. stellz~hope u feel better now!:)

Stella Matilda said...

hahaahh CAP MINYAK KAPAK huh? lol ok ok i usually buy the one with a Kuala bear picture on it
hehehehe my mom always letak that on my neck, forehead and on my nose a little whenever i feel dizzy.

i think its time to buy those and put them in my bag for emergency. i cud have fainted in there and next thing i know, i probably wake up naked without my handbag! =(
*touch word touch word*

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Yeap,that was what exactly my colleague experienced this morning while she was on her way to work.

Anonymous said...

yaya, gotto be aware for every second... i use to travel everyday from wangsa maju to asia jaya before i move to PJ. sometimes really feel unsafe and uncomfortable to be one of the "sardin" as we'll never know who is the pick pocket...and maybe they are just around you!

hehe, but sometimes im a bit too tired and fall asleep in the LRT. haha, from wangsa maju until kelana jaya and i suddenly woke up and realize...ah!...then gotto wait for the train to turn back to asia jaya...

Kylie said...

Hello Stella, I'm Kai Li, from the same camp as you during National Service, if you could recall =).

Just wondering where are you staying and working now? As in which part of KL, which builiding etc. lol.. (I'm studying in Monash, Sunway btw) And you finished your studies in Tarc?

Looking great there as always. Best regards mwaahh!!

Samantha said...

"Great post. Here's a website that can help you overcome
anxiety disorder without much hassle. You might want to give it a try at www.attackanxiety.org"

Stella Matilda said...

hi charlotte,
i feel u! i take train alot when i was studying lol and now i still do sometimes, but since yesterday's incident, i'm taking the cab now, even today going in to work =)

hi kylie!
yeh im still in tarc as part time student now because im so busy with some stuff lol


Hi samantha,
thanks for the link... i'll take some notes for that =)

xoxo

Huei said...

wow! luckily u were quick to react! money is not important..it's just that the security isn't exacly very good!

take cares!!! =)